DPP Affordable Housing Program
Not to be confused with the State of Hawai‘i's Affordable Housing program run by the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation (HHFDC), the Department of Planning & Permitting (DPP) has their own Affordable Housing program. DPP takes advantage of their land use permitting authority to control and provide benefits to real estate developers and their projects. It's similar to HHFDC's program because they both use HUD's AMI income limits.
Below are the general requirements to qualify:
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must be a Hawai‘i Resident.
- Must be a US Citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Does not own a majority interest in a principal residence (for the last 3 years).
- Does not have a spouse or dependent child who owns a majority interest in a principal residence (for the last 3 years).
- Has never purchased affordable housing via a State or County agency before (exceptions apply).
- Must make enough income to qualify for a loan to finance the purchase, but make less than a designated percentage of the area median income (AMI). Limits vary with project.
- Must not have more assets (as a household) exceed the price of the units being purchased (exceptions apply).
Click here to view DPP's 2022 AMI income limits.
Affordable Housing Occupancy Requirements
The amount of time that you're required to reside in the purchased unit will vary with project. In some projects, you'll be asked to reside for up to 30 years. You can sell the unit at anytime, but it comes with restrictions.
Real Estate Developments that offer or have offered affordable housing via DPP's Affordable Housing program
Are you learning about the right affordable program?
All new homes or condos in Hawai‘i will share which program they're using on their client applications or website. Below is a list of other common Affordable programs in Hawai‘i.
- HCDA Reserved Housing applies to the affordable units in Ward Village and a few other developments in Kaka‘ako.
- HHFDC Affordable Housing is used by many real estate developers - mainly rentals, but some condos for sales as well.